8. Ream National Park, Cambodia

Somehow I met this guy named David. I say hello to about anyone who looks like they are open to it, it's yielded some nice acquaintances. I think he just strolled in while I was on my fourth beer night or two ago and we started talking. He has a rather lengthy story he always goes through when someone asks where he's from. English father, Danish Mother, spent time in grew up in England, Denmark, and recently some time in Dublin. Is that right David?

After the hike, having lunch
Anyway, last night he came by while I was vegetating and drinking beer, and he mentioned he was going on one of the boat trips, probably to the big park. So I said I'm up for that. I mean, sitting around on my ass all day drinking beer and looking at the ocean and snoozing for two days was about enough. It cost $20, that includes breakfast and lunch. The minibus came by just a few minutes before 8:00 AM driven by a fellow named Dara.

Dara was a really nice guy and was our guide on the boat

We took the one hour trip to the park and were packed in the van like sardines
It really took us a long time to get going, picking up passengers, stopping for breakfast, gas, and finally ended up with 12 I believe. I think we finally got to the boat at almost 10:00 AM. I took quite a few pics out the dirty front window and the side window of the and countryside as we drove through, and include more than I should here. I've been struck by the red dirt. This landscape often reminds me very much of Oklahoma with palm trees. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to arrange these pics and get them to do what I want....

This was at the far west end of
my beach, past the last hotel
Couple of huge gold lions at the traffic
circle near the top of Serendipity Street

Some views of the town as we drove through on the way to the park.














It was about an hour drive to where the boat was moored in the park. We had a couple guys in park uniforms, a guide and the captain, as well as Dara. 



Some houses to the side of the dock. I was holding the camera a little tilted

Walk to the boat

Couple of shy kids hiding behind the post

Our sturdy vessel. You see a lot of these kinds of round bottomed boats.
They just call them long boats. Sort of tippy, but they are stable when loaded.
Not a spot of fiberglass to be found. I bet I could build one of these
from Home Depot lumber. They really are about as cheap as you can get
and still have a sea-worth vessel. I like them. 


Not much water yet
Just some details
Simple, good and cheap. Plastic tarp held up by a hardwood framework
made up of screwed lap joints everywhere

Dara said this is a good Japanese 13 hp gasoline engine designed for this kind
of vessel. I asked him about Chinese engines, he said they last about
three months and then pfftt 

It sits on a swivel and the shaft and propellor are tilted down into the water as deep as you want.

The outhouse

Mr. Ranger Sir takin' it easy.
The hour long river trip brought us past people fishing, diving for oysters and shrimp in 1.5 meter water, fisherman shacks, permanent houses, and we saw a large salt water dolphin when the water began to get brackish. He didn't stay still long enough for me to get a shot. We were fortunate that he came up to about 20 feet away from the boat. Dara said it's a lucky day.

Couple of kids fishing. Wish I had a boat like this when I was a kid
There were also a few egrets and what Dara said was a stork. Also some other birds of some kind. Sorry, I don't know a lot about birds and if I don't write it down I usually forget names.

Really nice view. It's a beautiful river.

River bank. Mangroves?

Palms that the locals use to roof their huts

Pretty

Ranger station

Dara caught this crab in a crab pot as we motored along

Your's truly, having a good time and getting a little pink

People live here year round

The hour long boat ride brought to a really nice beach where I went swimming for an hour and got nice and pink on my back. I thought about the sunscreen, but I don't care. Picked up some nice shells too.




They rounded us up and the we took about an hour march through the woods to where the boat would meet us.
Pretty forest, but if you stop the mosquitos really get you. Time for deet.

Some honkin' big spiders, just about head height! 

We got to the shack which was out over the water, and had
cool welcome breezes off the river. This little guy was friendly
and followed us out there.....
The shack and dock out in the where we had lunch was a possible place to stay while visiting. Dara said I could rent it for $5 a day. Cool breezes all day, no mosquitos out there, and a group of new friends stopping in for lunch every day. It's an appealing thought. I could help with making lunch for everybody or something.

....along this walkway

Lunch. The fish was SO GOOD.
 After about a half hour we started back up again, and went to an observatory that was accessed by a long and rather treacherous pathway up a creek.

Really had to watch your step along this

This tower was damn high and rather rickity with everyone
up on it, so I stayed on the ground
Time to get going back to the home base, another hour boat ride after bailing out the boat.



Propeller shaft at rest
After the lookout area, we headed back to home base, piled into the van and headed back to town. Dara had mentioned he only made about $40 each month. When we finally ended the trip, I tipped him $2, as well as each of the crew. There were 12 of us, and I know everyone wanted to tip them. One lady didn't have any change, not really sure about everyone....but if he works 30 days a month, getting average $10 or $20 in tips each day....that's a lot more than $40! 

I was feeling very sweaty and tired after it all. 

Back down Serendipity Road. New concrete being poured every day.
I wanted to get back to my room and take a nice shower, then look for something cool to drink.

Go to the end of Serendipity Road and turn right up this lane, and there are
half a dozen little places. Mine is the third one down there, at the end of the
lane. A left turn there takes you to the beach, and that's where I had to tuck
 my knees in tight on the back of the scooter. If you continue down the beach
there are about four more little hotels.
Made it back to the hotel for a shower and change of clothes. Then hopped on a moto and went to this shop I found yesterday where they make yummy smoothies.

Banana-mango smoothie, mmmmmm....
As I walked back slowly, took some pics of more bicycles that caught my eye.

I liked this one a lot





David should show up here any moment and we'll have dinner. I don't think he drinks, so he'll watch me put away a few beers. Get up pretty early to get to the bus station. I think it's a 12 hour bus ride to Pattaya, ugh.