15. Temple in Bangkok, Mission Impossible, Seńor Pico

I drank too much on New Years Eve, didn't get enough sleep and felt pretty crummy most of the net day. I feel a lot better today after getting 12 hours of sleep last night. No mosquitos in the room after asking room service to spray while I was out, I discovered where the heavy curtains are so sunlight doesn't wake me up, and everyone's finished partying...it felt great to catch up. Went to a suki yaki place across the street, I had the duck and it was really good. Ordered some for takeout too.

I liked this scene, old Chinese grandfather clock next to wi-fi post

They had duck, so I got me some

This morning I stumbled out of the hotel and went to the little place around the corner to tank up on espresso again, and had three different kinds of fish, all of them dried. Well, wait, one kind looked dried, a little fish steak reconstituted in an extreme brine with vinegar and peppers. One of those was like an entire can of anchovies. I pinched it up over the rice and vegetables. The other kinds were grilled or smoked, very dry and tiny little bones. Very small river fish, made a chewy and yummy breakfast.

I saw this lovely orchid, growing like a weed amongst the
shrubbery near the jacuzzi on the 4th floor

I got a neck and back massage yesterday from a place around the corner. It was really painful. She focused in on some knots I knew were there but it's been so long living with them that I don't think about it. I suppose I should go back today and let her work them over again one more time before I leave, sadist that she was, giggling at my groans.

I understand it is good if you go to temple for the new year, so I went to Chinatown to find one and go see if I can figure out what you're supposed to do. Walked around for about half an hour looking at various items for sale, but it was extremely crowded, and sometimes rather difficult to squeeze my fat belly through the aisles. Later will go see Mission Impossible in the theatre at the biggest mall in Asia. I really don't like Tom Cruise, but I hear it is a really good BSU movie.

Here's the entrance to the Chinese style temple

Making offerings and asking for blessings for the new year

Trying to wind my way through the shops which had utterly taken
over the sidewalks. Hardly any room at all--Adrian Monk would hate this place.

Lots of fun stuff for sale. My mom would love this place.

....except it's hard to get through if you are larger than the average person

I started to get a little claustrophobic


Was there a sale or something? Or is it like this every day?



I am told that Ayutthaya is very crowded with tourists just now. After the Chinese market, I had my fill of being jostled so I will wait until next weekend for that.

I'll be leaving on a train to Surin after going out to dinner in Bangkok with most of the friends I made in Thailand. I was able to get them all together at the Seńor Pico Restaurant at the Rembrandt Hotel.

Senor Pico is so happy I am here.

Thai style nachos...or is it the Thai version of Califonia style nachos?
Little hors d' oeuvres, each one perfectly arranged as if for a cocktail party for the King.

My friends Giuseppe (Italian) and Daniella (Romania), the lovebirds I met on the flight to
Phnom Penh. I swear, they are kissing all the time. I was so happy to see them again.

Pretty good time at Senor Pico's

I wonder why Thais like Mexican food...there were three or four I remember seeing just walking or riding around. It must be from a California kind of Mexican food or something, because it's more like cuisine. The two Mexican restaurants I have eaten at in Bangkok have both been far and away the most expensive restaurants I've tried. I find the Mexican food I know and love most often with a line of workers at the window of a little storefront or taco truck, cheap and quick. The bartender was all decked out in Mexican garb, so I tried saying something in Spanish to him, but of course he didn't know what I was saying. We had a really big dinner, I had some margaritas, and I got the love birds and Moo to have tequila shots with me.

Then it was off to the train station about 11:00 PM.

I felt like singin' a Johnny Cash song

Luggage goes up here



And away we go...