Halfway done with the course

Today marks the halfway point of the TEFL course I'm in and the second time I have taught Thai people. I feel much better about things this time, as the first attempt I sort of bombed. I don't know why I got so nervous, I don't so much when I perform. This course pushes so many details at me I don't know which way is up. I'm finally getting an idea of how to stitch all the concepts together to make a fairly cohesive lesson plan, but initially the problem was me just going brain dead and forgetting the simplest of things. So many things to remember when you're in front of an audience. I believe it will get better each time I do it, so just got to keep on doing it (or lose the investment).

I mentioned about performing, haven't brought that up before. I play the lute. Once was quite serious about it, but it was too daunting a thought to try and make a living at it, so I went back to drafting. I brought my two remaining lutes I with me to Bangkok, hoping I would not regret this. Saturday I tuned one of them up had a moto-taxi carry me to Po's coffee shop, strapped on my back like a guitar, weaving my way through the sois and up on sidewalks in Bangkok. Wish I had a picture. Just so I could run through my old repertoire. I thought about doing this the week before when it came up as I was chatting with Po. He didn't know the lute, so I had him google it there in his coffee shop. The first video hit that came up was an old roommate of mine. I exclaimed the fact, and I suspect Po looked askance at me thinking, "Yeah, right!" I told myself I better bring my lute and play for him to show him I'm not one of the local farang bullshitters, so I showed up about 11 am Saturday morning and began to play. It's hard not to let that single experience color everything, but it did get me considering things. Among my thoughts after playing French baroque lute suites for two hours was this: the lute and it's repertoire is in direct contrast to Thai music and Thai sensibilities. It isn't a good instrument for Thailand. Bangkok is too hot, too noisy, the instrument is too quiet and the repertoire is generally too slow and somber for Thai people. That might be way too much of a generalization, I know this is a big city with a widely varied population, but it was my first impression. I think six people at most came in while I was playing and none of them acknowledged me, which in my experience is not that unusual in such a situation...back home. But a lute in Bangkok? Wouldn't that invite one or two comments? The usual ones, like "What the hell is that?" and my favorite, "How many strings are on that thing?" I could have been a recording. In fairness, Po said he liked it and I can play again there any time. He said my playing made him think of a small college called Mahidol about 30 km straight west of Chatuchak because they have a serious, highly regarded music program that I might be a good fit in. Po has been a very helpful guy. I wrote an email to one of the professors in the musicology department, but I remember reading that Thai staff at schools often don't respond to emails very quickly (if at all), so perhaps I should try giving him a call in a week or two.

Playing like that made me realize how out-of-shape I am. Stamina, accuracy, tone, they all have suffered from my decade of inactivity. I feel I must confess here that the main reason I brought them with me is that I would have no way to physically prove I have music degrees. I mean, they could surely be authenticated easily enough, but I'm talking about first impressions. I can't walk into a chorus or band class and start conducting. I am not prepared to lecture on European renaissance or baroque history. My efforts were all towards playing this obscure repertoire, and it would have to be on this instrument that I impress with my abilities. Well, also I couldn't find anyone to buy them. I'm sure I would have sold them had I been able to find anyone to give me near what they are worth. So fate decrees that I must continue playing them for better or for worse. Perhaps if I persevere, and get over my abhorrence of amplified lutes, I'll fall ass-backwards into an appreciative audience. I remember once I took the little renaissance lute into a music store in Tucson looking for a suitable amplification rig, when two members of a Mexican band heard me noodling. They went crazy over it and suggested I play salsa on it. The tone is not the problem with these instruments, everybody likes the beautiful sound. It's the difficult and somber nature of the repertoire that can be the problem--it is a serious music for a serious people. Thais like to have fun. At this point I can't see many of them caring much for a French tombeau however well-played, or a rousing rendition of "Flow My Tears". South Korea might be a different story.

Well, here it is 10 am on a Tuesday. I taught my second lesson last night, and I had some mosquito problems in the middle of the night, so I slept in today. Have to get my butt in gear and get going to class soon. My third and last adult teaching assignment will be Thursday evening, a small elementary level class at the same office we taught before. The assigned subject is "Rain or Shine", all the things you can do in different kinds of weather. There are basically two kinds of weather here that I know of: hot-and-wet, and hot-and-dry. I sincerely doubt many of my future students have gone downhill skiing or ice fishing. Anyway, one thing I know I must do is make it funny. Those always go over the best. A big hit is one my fellow student's lesson entitled "My Favorite Alien", where you compare how many noses and fingers your alien has. Again, Thais like to have fun. Hey, we all like to have fun. I guess that's why I don't play lute much anymore.

So I bought a ukulele. Supposed to do my student teaching on 3rd graders and 8th graders Sunday. Parents drop them off and head to the malls, we are basically baby sitters for two hours I guess. So I went out today and bought a ukulele at JJ Mall near Chatuchak Weekend Market. I know I saw some that were in the 1200฿ range but it just wasn't worth searching around in these gigantic malls with 40,000 little shops and you don't know where anything is. I paid about $15 too much for this one at around 1700฿ and I don't care. I think that's around $55. It sounds OK, fits in my backpack.